on Jan 31, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
My delicious Adobo Seasoning can be used in anything from a dry-rub to a marinade. If you are looking to add some new flavors to your next meal then you will love this easy-to-make spice mix.
When it comes to homemade seasoning blends, this amazing adobo seasoning is the best! Making a homemade spice blend is a great way to add a personal touch to your meal. From marinades to dry-rubs, you can use this adobo seasoning on just about anything! The chili powder gives this spice mix a sweet, earthy taste that pairs perfectly with the sharp garlic powder and warm cumin. The best part about this spice mix is that you likely already have the ingredients in your pantry, allowing you to throw it together in minutes.
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s easy to throw together and use in your everyday cooking or give away as a gift!
- Made with common spices that you likely already have in your pantry.
- Totally customizable—make it sweeter, spicier, or smokier!
- Versatile! Use your finished adobo seasoning to add flavor to all sorts of meats or as the base for sauces and marinades.
What is Adobo Seasoning?
Adobo seasoning is a popular seasoning blend in Latin American, Caribbean, and Spanish cuisine. There are different varieties of this seasoning blend depending on the region, but most include garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and pepper. It is used as an all-purpose seasoning, in marinades, or for dry-rubs. Adobo seasoning typically has a sweet, slightly spicy flavor that can be customized depending on your spice tolerance.
- Chili Powder—Serves as the base of the seasoning mix and provides a warm, earthy flavor.
- Paprika—Complements the vibrant flavors in the mix and adds a little bit of smokiness.
- Sea Salt and Pepper—Brings all the ingredients together and amplifies the flavor.
- Red Pepper Flakes—Add some heat.
- Ground Cumin—For a hint of smokiness and warmth.
- Onion Powder—Provides some sweetness to cut through the spiciness of the seasoning.
- Garlic Powder—Can be substituted with garlic salt.
How to Make Adobo Seasoning
1. Measure out of the ingredients for making adobo seasoning.
2. Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Alternatively, you can add your ingredients to a small jar, seal with the lid, and shake for about 30 seconds.
4. Make sure that all of the spices are evenly distributed. Use and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are so many different uses for adobo seasoning! You can use this spice mix to create sauces, dressings, marinades, or dry-rubs. Many people use it as a seasoning for meat such as beef, chicken, or pork. I also love to season ground beef with adobo seasoning as a replacement for taco seasoning!
Making your own adobo seasoning gives you complete control over the final flavor of your spice mix. Unlike store-bought spice mixes that have a predetermined flavor, you can make this seasoning blend into whatever you want it to be. Whether you want your mix to be sweeter or spicier, modifying your ingredient amounts is a breeze!
- Regular chili powder has a sweet flavor, and does not provide much spice. If you want your finished adobo seasoning to have more of a kick, use chipotle chili powder instead!
- You might notice that your spice mix clumps together as it sits. Giving it a quick stir with a fork will cause the spices to break up again, giving you a fine, sand-like spice mix.
- This spice mix is easy to customize to your specific spice tolerance. For a less spicy mix, omit the red pepper flakes.
- In addition to making a great addition to chicken or beef, this spice mix is great sprinkled over steamed or sauteed veggies.
- Be sure to keep your jar or container of adobo seasoning away from any moisture or steam to help prolong the freshness of the spice mix. If moisture gets into your spice mix, it will be hard to break up and will not last nearly as long.
How to Store Adobo Seasoning
The best way to store this spice mix is in a sealed spice jar, mason jar, or Rubbermaid container. In order to preserve the freshness of your seasoning mix, it is important to make sure it is tightly sealed and stored in a cool, dry place. When stored properly, your seasoning mix will be good for 3 months. One of my favorite things about this seasoning mix is how easy it is to make in bulk and save for later.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Alternatively, you can add your ingredients to a small jar, seal with the lid, and shake for about 30 seconds.
- Make sure that all of the spices are evenly distributed.
- Use and enjoy!
- This will make 1/4 cup of seasoning.
- You can use this spice mix to create sauces, dressings, or sprinkle it in with some of your favorite dishes. We like using this mix as taco seasoning when cooking ground beef.
- You can store your adobo seasoning in a sealed spice jar, mason jar, or Rubbermaid container for up to 3 months.
- This spice mix is easy to customize to your specific spice tolerance. For a less spicy mix, omit the red pepper flakes. For a spicier mix, replace the chili powder with chipotle chili powder.
- Regular chili powder does not provide much spice. However, it does have a rich, vibrant flavor that is enhanced by the paprika.
- Your spice mix might clump together as it sits, but it will easily separate if you give it a quick whisk with a fork.