I have made this amazing Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Curry no less than 6 times in the last month. It takes about 5 minutes to put together, another 30 minutes to cook, I have everything on hand most of the time, and it is DELICIOUS!!! I literally can’t wait for you to make this and tell me how much it has changed your life; you are going to love it. I also love that this is a perfect meatless meal, trust me on this one, you aren’t going to miss the meat!
There’s something magical when you mix a little curry paste, coconut milk, and sweet potatoes together. It’s a really nice mix of sweet, salt, creamy smooth, and a few little chunks of vegetables. This recipe is very versatile. Don’t be scared of the curry paste. I love this brand and Amazon brings it right to my door.
The amount of curry paste that you add will determine the heat of the dish. If you don’t like things hot, add just 1 teaspoon. If you like a medium, try 2-3 teaspoons. If you like a hot curry try adding 4-5 teaspoons. The heat level is also going to depend on they type and brand of curry paste. We love Mai Poi brand green curry paste. I like to use 3 large teaspoons of it for a nice medium curry. It’s warm but not so hot that my kids won’t eat it (they don’t mind a little heat but they don’t want it super spicy). If you get to cooking, give it a taste, and find out you have a gotten things too spicy you can add a second can of coconut milk to dilute the curry paste a bit. This is one of my favorite clean out the vegetable draw dishes. You’ll want to be sure to use sweet potatoes because they are what is going to thicken the sauce, but you can add just about anything else in addition to them. We happen to love peas in this dish.
I also don’t consider the lime and cilantro optional garnishes. They really make the dish and you should plan on having them around. The peanuts are take them or leave them (I love them, Husband doesn’t), but that cilantro and lime are the icing on the curry cake :)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-5 teaspoons green curry paste (see notes)
- ½ an onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- hot cooked brown rice and/or warmed flatbread
- In a medium pot add the olive oil, curry paste and onion. Stir and cook over medium heat until the curry paste has coated the vegetables and the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper and sweet potato and cook another minute. Add the coconut milk, water (just fill the coconut milk can up about half way with water and dump it in…) and soy sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender and the mixture had thickened slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice on top.
This is one of my favorite clean out the vegetable draw dishes. You’ll want to be sure to use sweet potatoes because they are what is going to thicken the sauce, but you can add just about anything else in addition to them. We happen to love peas in this dish.
This recipe is inspired by and adapted from Pinch of Yum
Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy all kinds of fun, family, and food.