Looking for a quick and easy weekday breakfast? Well look no further! This Banana Smoothie comes together in only 10 minutes with 4 simple ingredients.
Smoothies are my favorite go-to breakfast in the morning because they are easy to prepare, and light on the stomach while still being filling! In this recipe, the Greek yogurt adds a nice amount of protein, with the whole milk and bananas offering plenty of nutrients. You can modify this simple recipe and add more fruit, any type of greens, or protein powder!
I love that this smoothie is naturally sweet and only uses simple ingredients that I always have on hand so I can throw it together in no time. One of our favorite ways to add more flavor to this smoothie is to add a spoonful or two of peanut butter. No matter what you choose to add to your banana smoothies, they are sure to be a hit!
Table Of Contents
- Frozen sliced banana—Gives your smoothie its sweet flavor and creamy consistency.
- Whole milk—Helps blend the ingredients together.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt—You can also use plain Greek yogurt!
- Vanilla extract—To amplify the sweetness in your smoothie.
Popular Substitutions and Variations
It can be fun to switch things up and make new variations of a classic smoothie and there are so many tasty ways you can modify this recipe! Here are a few ways to get you started:
- Try adding some greens with spinach or kale!
- Other fruits you can add are frozen strawberries, raspberries, or mango!
- Peanut butter or chocolate syrup make a sweet addition!
- Oats, chia seeds, or flax seeds if you want extra fiber!
How to Make Banana Smoothies
1. Slice bananas and gather the rest of the ingredients.
2. Combine all of your ingredients in a blender.
3. Pulse the blender starting on a lower speed and working your way up to a high speed until the mixture is smooth and homogeneous.
4. Pour the smoothie into glasses, serve, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can usually find pre sliced bananas in the frozen section of your local grocery store, but you can also freeze bananas yourself! If you want the bananas to be the sweetest, wait until there are brown spots on the peel and it is over ripe. Then peel the banana and carefully slice it up. You can store your sliced bananas in a ziploc bag for about 3 months in the freezer. For this recipe, make sure you have at least 4 sliced frozen bananas ready, but it’s always good to have extra on hand for other baked goods or smoothies!
Absolutely! Whether you are lactose intolerant or are just trying to avoid dairy, you can still make this smoothie! In replacement of the whole milk, you can use your favorite nut milk or even water. A good substitution for the Greek yogurt is coconut yogurt or almond milk yogurt. Keep in mind that you might need to add extra yogurt to ensure that the smoothie is still thick and creamy.
Yes! Bananas contain a fair amount of natural sugars, which are different from added sugars. The longer your bananas ripen the sweeter they will get, so freezing your own bananas really allows you to control the sweetness of these smoothies. Using vanilla Greek yogurt will also add a little extra sweetness.
- This smoothie will make enough for 2 people comfortably, but it can be stretched between 3 people! You will end up with about 4 fluid cups of smoothie. If you need to serve a larger group, consider gathering ingredients to make 2 or 3 batches since it takes so little time!
- Everyone has different consistency preferences! If your smoothie seems too thick, try adding ¼ cup of milk, then blend and continue this process until it is a bit thinner. If you find that the smoothie is too thin, add a spoonful or two of Greek yogurt, blend, and then repeat if necessary.
- Make sure to use frozen bananas because you will not need to add ice to get a good texture, which can detract from the taste. Fresh bananas will not yield the same smoothie results!
How to Store Banana Smoothies
These smoothies are best served fresh, and will not save well in the fridge. However, you can pour your smoothie into an ice cube tray and freeze it for up to 3 months! Make sure your tray is covered with a lid or plastic wrap to keep it sanitary. You can blend your smoothie cubes with ¼ of milk when you are ready to enjoy it again! Continue to add milk as needed to thin out the smoothie.
- 3 cups frozen sliced banana, about 3 small bananas
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all of your ingredients in a blender.
- Pulse the blender starting on a low speed and working your way up to a high speed until the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Pour your smoothie into glasses, serve, and enjoy!
- This smoothie recipe makes enough for two people comfortably but can be stretched between 3-4 people too. You will end up with about 4 fluid cups of smoothie.
- These smoothies are best served fresh; however you can pour your smoothie into an ice cube tray and freeze it for up to 3 months. Make sure your tray is covered with a lid or plastic wrap. Blend your smoothie cubes with ¼ cup of milk. You can add mild as needed to thin our the smoothie.
- Tasty add-ins include peanut butter, chocolate, and strawberries.
- You can usually find sliced bananas in the freezer section, but you can also use fresh bananas. Slice 4 ripe bananas and allow them to freeze for at least 2 hours.
- We like to add a little extra sweetness with vanilla Greek yogurt, but you can also use plain Greek yogurt.
- This is a great smoothie to add protein powdered too. It's great with vanilla, chocolate, or even peanut butter protein added.