This 15 Minute Donuts from scratch recipe is a great way to have fresh donuts on the table without spending hours prepping. Easy & delicious!
Beth’s Famous Glazed Yeast Donuts, Simple Pumpkin Donut Holes, and Pioneer Woman’s Glazed Donuts are my other three tried and true donut recipes for homemade donuts that taste just like you got them from a bakery. The donut holes take less time, but the glazed donuts are SO worth the effort.
15 Minute Donuts from Scratch
I don’t celebrate national anything, but when my IG feed was bulging with donut pictures this morning I scrapped the post I had ready and thought I better get this one out. I did a little research too and National Donut Day has a pretty neat history, read about it here. Donuts are one of my very favorite guilty pleasures. I love them! I’d take a donut over a chocolate bar any day. I don’t have access to fresh donuts where I live, so I’ve gotten pretty great at making my own. Pioneer Woman’s Glazed donuts are my favorite yeast donut recipe, but it’s one that I save to make when friends are over.
This quick recipe for 15 minute donuts from scratch is one that I make a lot more often. The recipe comes from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Baking Book, so you know it’s great. It’s a great fast way to have fresh donuts on the table without spending hours prepping. We love this recipe! I’ll heat the oil, make the dough, and then start frying the donuts in batches while I make scrambled eggs. If I have one of the kids wash fresh fruit we can have a gorgeous hot meal on the table in less than 20 minutes. It’s an easy way to splurge a little and is great for holidays or birthdays. Donuts = love. Let your family know they are loved.
What else can I put on donut holes?
This recipe uses powdered sugar because it is an easy and sweet coating that also looks pretty. You can also use granulated sugar and add in cinnamon for some tasty cinnamon sugar donuts!
How do I store donuts?
Allow the donuts to cool before storing them. You can wrap them in foil or plastic and store them in the fridge for about a week, or you can store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
This quick donuts recipe comes together in only 15 min & is a great way to have fresh donuts on the table without spending hours prepping. Easy & delicious!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl add the sugar, eggs, and nutmeg together and whisk to combine. Add the milk, butter, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined, but don’t over mix.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees. Using two spoons, make a ball of batter about the size of a ping pong ball. Use one spoon to carefully scrape the dough ball from the other spoon into the hot oil. Repeat this 5 or 6 times and then fry the donuts until they are crispy and very brown on all sides, 3-6 minutes total. Be sure to adjust the temperature as needed to keep the oil temperature at 350 degrees.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the donuts from the hot oil and place them on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Let the donuts drain while you repeat the process with the rest of the batter. Dust the donuts with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- These are best eaten right after making.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy donuts recipe, fast donuts recipe, no rise donuts, no yeast donuts
Want To Save This Recipe?
More Sweet Recipes to try for breakfast:
- BEST Banana Waffles
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- The best banana bread recipe
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Churro Waffles with Caramel Sauce
- The Best Strawberry Pancakes (allergy-friendly)
- Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins (Made in the Blender!)
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Blueberry Topping for Waffles, Pancakes, or Ice Cream
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated in August 2019.
These 15 minute from Scratch Donuts are a simple and delicious way to add a little something sweet to your breakfast or for a quick treat.