My mom left this morning after a glorious week of hanging out with our little family to help take care of the new baby. We crafted and enjoyed precious time together. When you live thousands of miles apart, any time together is precious. I thought it would be fun to share one of my favorite recipes of hers today in honor of her departure.
This cheater gooey pumpkin butter cake is something I can remember her making when I was a kid. I think she first tried the recipe to take to a church activity and when she brought the left-overs home I remember loving them. The recipe quickly became a family favorite and we’ve been making it ever since. It’s an awesome recipe because its base is a cake mix (hence the “cheater” in the name). That takes a lot of time and prep out. It is also great because it makes a large 9 by 13 inch pan full. It’s perfect to take to family gatherings and social functions because it makes a bunch. So it’s easy, it makes a full pan, and it is so tasty. I love the smooth pumpkin combined with the sweet and buttery cake. It’s awesome and I think you should try it! Throw on a little freshly whipped cream and you are really in business.
Enjoy this easy recipe soon; you’ll be putting it on your “family favorites” list too!
- 1 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I like pecans)
- 1 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl add together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until well combine and then pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix on top of the pumpkin mixture and gentle pat down the top with your hands. Spring the nuts over the cake mix and then evenly pour the melted butter over the top of the nuts.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. It's delicious the second day at room temperature too.
I hope you are enjoying posts from all my blogging friends while I’m taking it easy with the new little one. More guests posts to come this week!
If you are a fan of this Cheater Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cake then you might also like these recipes:
Pumpkin Pie Pudding with White Chocolate Whipped Cream and a Gingersnap Crust
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with a Whipped Cinnamon Filling
Glazed Pumpkin Donuts from One Lovely Life
Have a great day and enjoy some cake.