Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade is sweet and tart for a perfect, cold summery drink that only has a few ingredients.
- 4 cups water
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 pint strawberries, stems removed and cut in half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- 3-4 cups ice
- In a medium pot add the water, rhubarb, strawberries and sugar. Heat over medium high heat, stirring often until the mixture starts to boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and roughly crush the berries and rhubarb with a potato masher or the back for a wooden spoon. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Use the back of a spoon to firmly press the solids against the strainer to get as much liquid out of them as you can. Discard the solids (or feed them to your chickens) and refrigerate the liquid until it is cool.
- When you are ready to serve add the cold strawberry rhubarb liquid and lemon juice to a large pitcher and stir together. Add the ice and stir again. Serve right away. Garnish with lemon slices and/or sliced strawberries if you'd like.
It works great to get the strawberry rhubarb juice made a day or two in advance. Just keep it in the fridge and stir everything together right before you are going to serve it.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Category: drinks
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemonade, homemade lemonade, strawberry, rhubarb, how to make lemonade, strawberry rhubarb lemonade, lemons, lemon