Healthy lower calorie brownies are just the chocolate treat you need without the guilt. This recipes has no beans, avocado, or protein powered either. Just normal stuff done right.
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or creamy natural peanut butter)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus a tablespoon whole wheat flour or whole oat flour (oats you blend up in your blender)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl mix together the almond butter, honey, coconut sugar, vanilla and apple sauce. Mix until well combined. Add the egg and mix to incorporate.
- Add the wheat or oat flour, cocoa powder, soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until the mixture comes together and there are no dry pieces but don't over mix. Add the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and stir to combine. Pour the thick batter into the prepared dish and use a spatula to evenly spread it around and smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on the top of the prepared brownies.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the mixture is cooked through in the center (if you under bake these, they taste and feel like they aren't done). I like gooey brownies but it's not the same here, so bake them the full time. Serve warm. These also freeze very well and are delicious frozen. I made a batch and hid them in my freezer for when I need a little treat.
You can sub more honey for the coconut sugar but you'll taste the honey. You can also sub something like a raw or organic granulated cane sugar for the coconut sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 10.3g
- Sodium: 63.9mg
- Fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 11.6mg
Keywords: Brownie, Dessert, Healthy Dessert, Low Calorie Dessert