Let the kids make a mess in your kitchen while they bake these simple applesauce cookies. They are so healthy, you won’t even mind if they eat a few for breakfast!
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, add the applesauce, coconut oil, egg, and honey, and mix to combine well.
- Add the oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine well. Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes (this give the oats a little time to absorb some of the liquid).
- Use a cookie scoop or two spoons to place a rounded tablespoon of dough on a parchment or baking mat lined cookie sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned and the center is set. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.
Don’t skip the chilling time, the whole grains in this recipe need some time for absorb the liquids before being baked.
If you have cinnamon chips, they are really good in this recipe.
I think if you were to replace the whole wheat flour with oat flour it would still work and then you could make this recipe gluten free (with compliant chocolate chips) if that is a need for your family. I have tried this with gluten free flour.
Keywords: applesauce cookies recipe, healthy cookies recipe, baking with applesauce, applesauce dessert recipe