Sweet and salty caramelized butternut squash is the perfect five ingredient side dish to add to any meal.
- 1 large butternut squash, about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven the 375 degrees.
- Remove the skin and the seeds from the butternut squash and cut the flesh into 3/4 inch cubes. I ended up with just over 4 cups of cubed squash.
- Toss the cubes with coconut oil or olive oil and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and gently flip the squash over with a metal spatula.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the squash and return the pan to the oven.
- Cook for another 15-25 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes, until the squash is tender and the maple syrup starts to thicken.
- Place the squash in a serving bowl, drizzle any leftover syrup from the pan onto the squash, adjust the salt to taste and serve right away.
The maple syrup will burn if left too long in the oven. Keep an eye on it!
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy butternut squash recipe, best butternut squash recipe, easy thanksgiving side dish, butternut squash recipe, easy butternut squash, butternut squash idea