Mashed sweet potatoes are what sweet and salty dreams are made of. This is my favorite 5 ingredient side dish all year long.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium sweet potatoes)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat for easier clean up (not a must, it just makes things easier).
- Wash the sweet potatoes and then cut them in half from end to end and place the potatoes on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the cut potatoes. Use your hands or a pastry brush to coat the outside and cut side of each potato half with the olive oil completely.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet cut side down and roast them in the hot oven until fork tender, 25-35 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and let them cool enough to handle safely.
- Use a spoon to scoop the soft sweet potato flesh from the skin and place it in a medium bowl.
- Add the melted butter or coconut oil, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Use a fork or a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Serve warm.
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato recipe, easy sweet potato recipe, easy mashed sweet potatoes, easy thanksgiving side, Thanksgiving side dish, Thanksgiving food ideas, mashed sweet potatoes