This easy Dutch Apple Pie Recipe is made with fresh apples, a buttery crust and a streusel topping with a secret ingredient – cornmeal! It’s the perfect apple pie!
For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- About 5 cups thinly sliced apples (peeled and cored), 8-10 medium apples
For the streusel:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Single Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix first 5 ingredients together in a medium bowl, mixing together to coat everything well.
- Add the apple mixture to a prepared unbaked pie crust in a deep 9-inch pie plate. Place the apple pie in the oven (with no top on) and bake for 25 minutes.
- To make the streusel, add the flour, sugars, and cornmeal to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle the melted butter over the top and stir with a fork until roughly combined.
- Remove the pie from the oven after 25 minutes and carefully add the streusel topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until the crust and streusel have browned.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for at least one hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Here’s a post about how to cut apples it you need it. If you peel them first and then cut them this way, it’s the fastest way to get your apples prepped.
- Try to find a firm apple to use in this recipe. I like a mix between sweet and sour apples. You can use Granny Smith, Jonathan, Jonagold, Winesap, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Gala, and Rome Beauty. I used Golden Delicious from our trees for this pie and it was great.
- In the world of pies, this one has a low amount of added sugar. If using a very tart apple you may need to double the sugar. Just adjust to taste.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dutch
Keywords: dutch apple pie recipe, dutch apple pie, best apple pie recipe, easy apple pie recipe, easy apple pie, best apple pie, homemade apple pie, homemade apple pie recipe, how to make apple pie