Perfect vanilla cupcakes topped with homemade whipped milk chocolate frosting are what dreams are made of.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl add the melted butter and sugar. Stir to combine (the mixture will be gritty still). Add the egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until there aren't any lumps. The batter will be nice and thick. Once it the batter is all wet and well combined, stop stirring. Don't over mix.
- Divide the batter among the 12 lined cups. Bake for around 20 minutes until the tops spring back with touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting-
- Add the butter and cream to the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on medium speed with the whisk attachment until the butter and cream combine. Increase the speed to high and mix for 3-5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides a time or two. Add the vanilla, cocoa, and 2.5 cups of the powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined and then increase speed to medium and whip for 1 to 2 minutes.
- The constancy of the icing is important if you are going to pile it high on a cupcake. It should be a medium consistency. If you mix the batch of icing with a metal teaspoon (the kind you use for dinner) it should stand up straight in the middle of the bowl when it is in the icing. So, you should be able to stir it with a spoon by hand but it should also be sturdy enough to hold the spoon up. If the icing is too thick, add a little cream. If it needs to be a little thicker add a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and whip to combine until it’s sturdy enough.
- Place in an icing bag and pipe on the cool cupcakes with tip M1.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 38.6g
- Sodium: 148.3mg
- Fat: 18.2g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
Keywords: Dessert, Cupcake, Vanilla, Chocolate Icing