Sweet and Spicy Cucumbers and Vinegar make the most delicious refrigeration pickles that only take about 5 minutes to make. This homemade pickle recipe is a great snack that takes up almost no room in the fridge!
- 2 medium or 5-6 small cucumbers (Kirby are great), about 2 cups.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seed
- 1–3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Prepare the cucumbers by slicing them how you like, spears or rounds both work great. Place them in a glass mason jar or a bowl.
- In a medium pan, add the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, whole mustard seed, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the mixture to a boil and boil for one minute. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over the prepared cucumbers.
- Let the cucumbers and vinegar mixture rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (though overnight is great, too) before enjoying.
- Keep pickles in the fridge, submerged in the brine, for up to a week.
- Sometimes when I make this in the summer and I have jalapeños in my garden along with the cucumbers, I’ll sub in two diced jalapeños for the red pepper flakes. So delicious!
- You can add a clove or two of fresh garlic (cut in half) to the brine if you like garlic pickles.
- You can also add fresh or dried dill to taste.
- You can substitute the peppercorns and whole mustard seed for pickling spice (here’s my homemade pickling spice recipe) if you like. Use a generous tablespoon of pickling spice for this recipe.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pickle recipe, refrigerated pickle recipe, sweet and spicy cucumber recipe, cucumber and vinegar recipe, how to make pickles, easy pickle recipe, 5 minute pickle recipe