Rich and creamy Sausage and Pumpkin Pasta made with ground sausage, pumpkin puree, garlic, and lots of Parmesan cheese – comfort food at its best.
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4–6 cloves garlic. minced
- 2–4 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan
- additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large saute pan according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the sausage and cook over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and minced sage and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and cook until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin and cream and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and stir to coat it well with sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce. The sauce should coat the pasta easily.
- When the pasta is hot, remove the pan from the heat. Serve the pasta hot with additional salt, pepper, and Parmesan to taste.
- I like sage but I don’t love it, so I added 2 leaves. If you know you love it, add the full 4. If you are somewhere in the middle, try three.
- You have a lot of freedom when it comes to what sausage to use. You can use hot Italian, sweet Italian, pork breakfast sausage, and just about anything in between. Just be sure it’s a ground sausage and remove any casing before cooking.
- I like to use a sturdy pasta like Orecchiette, Rigatoni, or even Bow-Tie.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin pasta, savory pumpkin recipe, pumpkin dinner recipe, easy pasta dinner recipe