Quick and easy Instant Pot Split Pea Soup made with just a few ingredients and done in about 40 minutes, start to finish. Hearty soup recipes are a must if you want to make it through the harsh winter!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 3–4 carrots, diced
- 1 bag Hurst’s Hampeas Green Split Peas (20 ounces), rinsed and sorted
- Seasoning packet that comes with split peas
- 8 cups broth (chicken or vegetable is best)
- 2 pounds ham hocks, shanks, or leftover ham bone
- salt and pepper to taste
- Select browning/saute to preheat the pressure cooker. Add the olive oil or butter and onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add split peas to the pot, add the seasoning packet, and the broth. Stir to combine.
- Add the ham hocks, shanks, or ham bone to the pot.
- Lock the lid in place, make sure the vent is set to seal, and select high pressure and 20 minute cook time.
- When the cooking time ends, use the quick pressure release. When the valve drops, remove the lid carefully.
- Remove the ham pieces and bones and place them on a plate. Remove any extra meat and discard the non-edible pieces. Return the ham meat to the pot and stir to combine.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- The soup will thicken a lot as it cools, so serve it hot or use a bit of broth to thin it out as needed.
- I tried this recipe with and without the included seasoning packet and I really liked using the seasoning packets. It adds a great smoky flavor. It’s gluten-free, too. If you are sensitive to salt though, try adding only half and adjusting additional salt to your liking.
- You are free to use the pork/ham product of your choice – using a leftover ham bone works great. I just toss my ham bone in a zipper-topped freezer bag after dinner and keep it there until I’m ready to make soup.
- You can make this on the stove top by cooking it for about 40 minutes until tender or in the slow cooker on low for about 4 hours.
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: split pea soup recipe, split pea soup recipe with ham hock, instant pot split pea soup recipe, instant pot soup recipes, winter soup recipes, split pea soup recipe with ham,