The Best 4th of July Cookies on the Block are super puffy and soft sugar cookies with the cutest sprinkles ever – and they travel well too!
For the Cookies
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- dash of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- sprinkles for decorating
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. You can use a stand mixer, an electric hand mixer, or a fork and some elbow grease to do this. It’s up to you.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir until very smooth.
- Add the Greek yogurt and stir until combined.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all-purpose flour and stir until well combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough on a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk, wrap well, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 36 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the dough, remove it from the fridge, unwrap, and divide it into 2 pieces. Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick on a well-floured surface and cut into shapes (I used a 3-inch circle cookie cutter). Place the cut out cookies on a parchment- or baking-mat-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes. The tops of the cookies will be light but the bottom should be lightly brown.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make the frosting add the butter, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of cream or milk, and the dash of salt to a large bowl and beat until fluffy, about a minute (a stand or hand mixer work well for this). Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add the additional tablespoon of cream or milk and beat again.
- When the cookies are completely cooled, add a generous helping of frosting and 4th of July sprinkles.
You can make the dough up to a day ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to bake. The cookies can also be made a day ahead of time and stored (unfrosted) in an airtight container. These travel best in a single layer.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soft sugar cookie recipe, best sugar cookie recipe, sugar cookies with frosting