This zucchini side dish is full of onion, tomato, herbs, and of course zucchini to make a bright and fresh side that tastes out-of-this-world delicious!
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini (about 2.5 inches in diameter)
- 2 or 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup your favorite fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium to medium-high heat until melted.
- Add the onion, and saute until the onion starts to get clear on the edges, about 5 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, cut the ends off of the zucchini, and then cut it in to fourths long-ways. Slice each quarter into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices.
- When the onion is starting to go clear on the edges, add the garlic and chopped zucchini.
- While the zucchini is cooking, coarsely dice your fresh tomatoes.
- When the zucchini is cooked to your liking (I like it al dente), add the tomatoes. Stir to combine, and heat through without over-cooking the tomatoes.
- Remove from the heat, and add your fresh herbs and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away.
- I love to use cilantro, basil, chives, or parsley for this dish, or a combo of herbs. If using an herb such as rosemary or thyme, only add about a tablespoon because they are a lot stronger than the others listed.
- Don't overcook the zucchini unless you truly like it soft. Just a touch of crunch left in it is perfect.
- If using 1 medium or 2 small zucchinis, then there is no need to peel or remove seeds. If you are trying to use up a large zucchini, I would peel off the outside and remove the big seed after quartering it.
- Feel free to use a good quality olive oil in place of some or all of the butter.
- There is a whole lot of onion in this dish. If you aren't an onion lover, then feel free to reduce the amount. I wouldn't go less than a 1/3 cup of chopped onion for flavor, though.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: side
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini, zucchini recipe, healthy, vegetable, side dish