Zucchini and Sweet Corn Quesadillas are just the thing that you need to start the rest of your week off right. Meatless Monday have you scratching your head for delicious ideas that don’t involve tofu or quinoa? This simple meal is the perfect thing to stick on your meal plan for the coming week. When you add the simple pleasure of zucchini, some sweet fresh corn, and a little zip from that delicious Pepper Jack cheese, you have a winning dinner that comes together in about 15 minutes! I served these sweet corn quesadillas with some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and a fresh garden melon and everyone loved the meal! Plus, it’s so light and simple, you can make some chocolate peanut butter ice cream for dessert and feel no guilt.
The garden is heading into fall. I picked all of my sweet corn last week and put it in the freezer. The sugar pumpkins are ready and we’ve already roasted one and made a homemade pie, and the 200 onions are ready for picking! Any suggestions on how to store a million onions? I think I’m going to dice a bunch and put them in the freezer to see if I like to use them like that. Maybe I’ll braid a bunch and start handing them out as gifts! Really… so many onions!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #blessthismesseat on Instagram. I love to see your kitchen skills in action!
Zucchini and Sweet Corn Quesadillas
- 1 small zucchini, diced small
- 1 cup frozen corn or the corn from 2 ears of cooked corn removed from the cob
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- butter or cooking spray for pan
- Heat a large cast iron or other heavy bottomed skillet on the stove-top over medium-high heat. Saute the zucchini, corn, and onion until the veggies are tender crisp but cooked through. Removed the zucchini mixture from the pan and add salt and pepper to taste, the cilantro, and the hot sauce if you are using it.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel and return it to stove over medium heat.
- Place 1 tortilla on a plate or cutting board, spread a 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture and then 1/4 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the tortilla. Place a second tortilla on top. Carry the quesadilla on the plate or cutting board over to the hot pan and carefully slide it onto the hot pan.
- Let the tortilla cook for a minute or so, until lightly browned, and then carefully flip it over and cook on the other side. The goal is to have warm filling and melted cheese without burning the tortillas, so keep an eye on things and lower the heat if the tortillas are cooking too fast, or if your stove tends to cook hot, start with a lower temperature.
- Remove the warm quesadilla from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Using a knife or pizza roller, cut the quesadilla into 6 or 8 wedges.
- Serve right away salsa for dipping.
Enjoy this quick and easy meal on me. I’m in the middle of getting my life back in order after pregnancy and slow cooker meals are my favorite right now. I can get stuff done all day and not worry about dinner when I take the time to do all the work at lunch time. Do you have any favorite slow cooker recipes to share with me? I’d love to try them!
Thanks so much for being here. You all really are the best.