Healthy whole wheat honey Cake is just what the real food lover in your life wants you to make for their birthday. It's light, sweet, and perfect with a little whipped cream!
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (pastry or traditional)
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or a heavy hand of cooking spray. Add ¾ cup of sliced almonds to the bottom of the cake pan and evenly distribute.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and the honey until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add the sour cream, and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Add the remaining ¼ cup of sliced almonds and stir until incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown and the edges start to separate from the pan, and a toothpick, inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow it to rest in the pan, on a wire rack, for 15 minutes. After it has rested, invert the cake to a serving dish and allow it to come to room temperature. Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar, or freshly whipped cream and berries.
It's a bit hard to tell when this cake is done because it's going to be pretty dark when it's cooked. Don't over bake though or it will be dry.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 23.7g
- Sodium: 179.5mg
- Fat: 18.1g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 94.2mg
Keywords: Dessert, Whole Wheat Cake, Lightened up Dessert