Whole Grain Carrot Cake Pancakes are full of spices and just the right amount of carrot. Top them with a simple maple sweetened cream cheese topping!
Whole Grain Carrot Cake Pancakes
I’ve been dreaming of carrot cake for weeks now and have been bugging my dad to send me the recipes he loves. While I’ve been waiting on his reply I’ve been making do with a healthy breakfast version of this delicious spring time treat. Whole Grain Carrot Cake Pancakes with Maple Cream Cheese Whipped Cream are the things Easter brunches are made of.
These pancakes are full of spices, just the right amount of carrot, and when you top them with a simple maple sweetened cream cheese and whipped cream mixture, you’ll think you are eating cake for breakfast. That’s never a bad thing in my book.
The pancake texture will depend a lot on how big you grate the carrots. My grater has really large holes and so my pancake had a bit of a crunch to it. Truth be told, my 3-year-old hated it! He was not pleased with carrot in his breakfast. I, on the other hand, loved the texture and thought the pieces of carrot looked beautiful once the pancakes were cut into. If you think your kids may fuss at the idea, try grating your carrot nice and fine.
And that whipped cream?! It was awesome! I had some leftover since my kids didn’t want it on their pancakes and I ended up dipping grapes and strawberries in it later for a snack. Delicious! Plus you can’t beat how easily it comes together and that it’s naturally sweetened.
How do I get the texture I want in homemade pancakes?
The pancake texture will depend a lot on how big you grate the carrots. My grater has really large holes and so my pancake had a bit of a crunch to it. If you don’t like that then try grating your carrot nice and fine.
How do you know when pancakes are ready to flip?
You will know it is time to flip your pancakes when you see bubbles form and those bubbles pop.
Why are my pancakes not fluffy?
This could be caused from over mixing the batter. Don’t over mix! Stir your batter until the dry and wet ingredients are just incorporated.
How do you keep pancakes from sticking in cast iron skillet?
Make sure you are using butter! Once the skillet is warm, coat it with butter and then proceed to put the pancake batter in the cast iron skillet.
Whole grain carrot cake pancakes are full of spices and just the right amount of carrot. Top them with a simple maple sweetened cream cheese topping!
For the pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash cloves
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups milk
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
For the Maple Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- dash cinnamon
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. While the pan is heating, make your pancake batter.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, vanilla, maple, eggs, and the lesser amount of milk. Whisk to combine. If your batter is too thick add the rest of the milk and stir to combine. Add the carrots and stir.
- Butter the hot pan and cook 1/2 cup of the batter at a time, flipping once, until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To make the Maple Cream Cheese Whipped Cream place all of the ingredients (cream cheese through cinnamon) in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the pancakes hot with the cream cheese mixture on top. Garnish with chopped walnuts if desired. If this isn’t sweet enough for you, serve with additional maple syrup.
These carrot cake pancakes are full of spices and just the right amount of carrot. Top them with a simple maple sweetened cream cheese topping!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 15.6g
- Sodium: 254.2mg
- Fat: 23.5g
- Carbohydrates: 40.4g
- Protein: 9.3g
- Cholesterol: 110.8mg
Keywords: Breakfast, Brunch, Carrot Cake, Pankcakes, Easter
Some more breakfast foods I think you’ll love:
- The Best Homemade Whole Wheat Waffles Recipe
- Homemade Pancakes & traditional, whole wheat, blueberry, and chocolate chip
- Healthy Tropical Smoothie
- Easy Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Roasted Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Easy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Pie
- Orange Pineapple Banana Smoothie
- Classic Waffle Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Waffle Recipe
- Easy Healthy Make Ahead Zucchini Egg Bake
I can’t wait to here if you try Whole Grain Carrot Cake Pancakes Top them with a simple maple sweetened cream cheese topping! Enjoy friends!