Simple & sweet these easy homemade granola bars are perfect for breakfast or on the go snacking.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries (Craisins) or dried sweet cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- 4 ounces or 1/2 cup white chocolate
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat add the butter and cook until melted.
- Add the brown sugar, honey, milk, salt, and dried cranberries to the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the pan off the heat and add vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl add the oats and crispy rice cereal and then pour the cooked mixture over the top. Stir until well combined.
- Dump the mixture onto one side of a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Press the mixture into the pan using the greased bottom of a measuring cup.
- The finished bars will take up about 2/3 of the pan and be about 3/4 of an inch thick. Allow the bars to cool and set for at least an hour.
- After the bars have had time to cool, place them and the parchment paper they are still on, on a cutting board.
- Cut into bars using a sharp knife, but leave them close together (see pictures below).
- Melt the white chocolate in a mug over high heat in the microwave until smooth, stirring often.
- Drizzle the chocolate evenly over all of the bars. Allow the chocolate to cool and set for at least an hour.
- When the chocolate is set, cut the bars again with a sharp knife in the same places you cut before. Gobble them up or store in an air-tight container for later.
- I like to re-hydrate and plump up dried fruits before I eat them in something like this, so I boiled them in the sugar/butter mixture to soften them. If you like your Craisins chewy and more firm don’t boil them and just add them to the cereal/oat mixture.
- This is a great recipe to add anything too! Throw some nuts, flax, or wheat germ into the cereal/oat mixture; the possibilities are endless.
- The bars firmed up as they sat overnight, uncovered. So if they are a bit soft, just leave them out overnight.
- Category: Snacks, Granola Bars
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade granola bars, granola bars with oatmeal, easy granola bars recipe, white chocolate granola bar