How to make a simple homemade pancake mix, plus instructions on how to make the mix into pancakes for your busy weekday mornings.
In your mason jar, combine:
- 2 cups flour (all purpose, whole wheat, or a combo of the two)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For your label, write:
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil
Mix ingredients together, and cook on griddle over medium heat.
To make the homemade pancake mix:
- Add the dry ingredients to a quart-sized mason jar (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- Repeat with more dry ingredients and more jars to make up enough jars for a month of weekday pancakes (4 in my house, we have pancakes once a week), and add the lids.
- Write out a label, and stick it to the jar (thick masking tape works great to write labels on).
- Store until your busy weekday morning.
To make the pancakes :
- When that busy morning comes, just pour the contents of the jar into a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add all of the wet ingredients as listed on the label (egg, oil, and milk), and whisk together. Cook on a well-greased griddle, skillet, or cast iron pan over medium heat, until golden-brown on both sides.
- Serve with your go-to pancake topping, such as maple syrup, yogurt, honey, or berries.
- If using whole wheat flour, you’ll probably need to add a few tablespoons more milk so that the batter is thin enough to pour.