A colorful and healthy “cake” made with watermelon and whipped cream! It won’t heat up your kitchen and looks amazing.
- 1 small to medium watermelon
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- Cut the watermelon into the shape of a cake by cutting away the rind and making the top and bottom flat. (See video for further tips on cutting.) Place the watermelon on your serving plate. If you watermelon is very juicy you may want to lightly blot the outside with a paper towel to remove extra moisture before adding the whipped cream.
- To whip the cream place the cream in bowl of your stand mixer. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip on high until peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Cover the outside of the watermelon with the freshly whipped cream. Decorate with toasted coconut and sprinkles. You could also add fresh berries for decorations.
One little trick that I would recommend would be to use paper towels to blot off any extra moisture from the watermelon before spreading on the whipped cream. The whipped cream might want to slide off if the watermelon is very wet. I made this and stuck it in the fridge and it held up very well over night. This was because I used heavy whipping cream instead of just regular whipping cream. The heavy whipping cream is more stable and stays whipped much better. I assume this is because it has a high fat content but I’m not actually sure. But now you know. If you want your cream to stay nice and whipped, choose heavy whipping cream. If you are going to be whipping it and using it right away (if you were making strawberry shortcake or something), then regular whipping cream works great.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: watermelon cake recipe, fruit cake recipe, watermelon birthday