Easy Vegetarian Chili with Quinoa that is spicy and flavorful. You'll love this recipe and how quickly it comes together!
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon light oil, such as avocado, vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika preferred)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 can tomato sauce, 15 ounces
- 1 can petite diced or fire-roasted tomatoes, 15 ounces (don't drain the juice)
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (15 ounces each)
- Shredded cheese
- Diced green onion
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Cook the quinoa in 1 cup vegetable broth in a medium sauce pan (place quinoa and vegetable broth in the pot, bring to boil, cover and then reduce heat to simmer until quinoa absorbs all of the vegetable broth, about 15-20 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, add the oil to a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne) in with the onion and garlic and stir until all vegetables are covered in the spices and the spices start to smell good.
- Add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth, and the kidney beans, stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the cooked quinoa into the large pot, then serve and add optional toppings to taste.
- This recipe will last about 5 or so days in the fridge, but please note the liquid will become absorbed by the quinoa and it will be very thick. Feel free to add a little water or broth when you are reheating it. The really thick chili is great on baked potatoes.
- Some quinoa is already rinsed and ready to cook, just read the package and see what yours says about needing to be rinsed or not.
- You can swap out the kidney beans for any other cooked beans that you like or have on hand, it's very flexible.
- The nutrition information doesn't' reflect any additional toppings.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetarian chili, vegetarian chili with beans, vegetarian chili with quinoa, how to make vegetarian chili, vegetarian chili recipe