I love a creamy pasta that’s hearty but not too rich and heavy. This Creamy Tuscan Chicken with Pasta is the perfect combination of a velvety cream sauce served with fettuccine and chicken for a decadent but approachable dinner!
For the Chicken:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, halved horizontally so that you have 6-8 pieces of chicken
- 4 tablespoons reserved sun-dried tomato oil or olive oil, divided
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 5-ounce jar sun-dried tomato strips in oil, drained (reserve 4 tablespoons of oil for cooking)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped, for serving, optional
- 1 pound fettuccine
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, paprika, and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with the seasoning mix you just made.
- In a large skillet or high-sided saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the side touching the pan has a nice golden color. (Don’t mess with it a lot -- just let it sit and sear.) Flip the chicken over once, and let it cook on the second side for another 6 to 8 minutes, or until your chicken registers 165 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer (you may need to work in batches if you pan isn’t large enough).
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the fettuccine according to package directions.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil you reserved from the jar of dried tomatoes to the pan. Add the garlic and the mustard, and stir to combine. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the cream, scraping up any bits left on the bottom of the pan as you whisk.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. (If it’s really boiling away, reduce the heat a bit.) Simmer, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the baby spinach, remaining sundried tomatoes, and Parmesan, and stir to combine well.
- Give the sauce a taste, and add salt and pepper to taste (it’ll need some of both).
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the chicken and any juices that have accumulated on the plate back to the cream sauce. Stir to combine, and cook just until the chicken is heated through again.
- Remove from the heat, and serve with the cooked and drained pasta.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil if you choose (it’s delicious, but I don’t always have fresh basil).
- New to oil packed sun-dried tomatoes? They are so good! Look for them near the pickles and olives (or near the canned vegetables like artichoke hearts OR by pasta sauce). And this recipe uses the whole jar so you won’t have to worry about figuring out what to do with leftovers. If you’d like them in smaller pieces, feel free to give them a good chop before adding to the pan.
- Not a mustard fan? No worries. It just adds a salty, briny element, and you won’t know that it’s mustard. Trust me on this one.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: This chicken and cream sauce is so great on pasta, but you could also serve it over zucchini noodles, roasted cauliflower, or even rice. The sauce and chicken really go well with lots of things.
- Use up the rest of the bag of spinach to make a sweet spinach salad with some green onions, sliced fresh fruit, nuts, and a poppy seed dressing.
- MEAL PREP: Feel free to cut and season the chicken and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days before using, and you can also chop and store the spinach in the fridge to prepare for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Tuscan Chicken, How to make Tuscan Chicken, Tuscan chicken recipe, chicken alfredo recipe, creamy chicken recipe, cream chicken and pasta recipe