Tortellini Vegetable Soup is a 30 minute, meatless meal made with vegetables, pasta, and cheese that the whole family will love.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large ribs of celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (or 3 Tablespoons fresh, finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (or 3 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped)
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini (dried, fresh, and frozen all work)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (at least 1 teaspoon each)
- Fresh grated Parmesan for serving, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, over medium high heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the other veggies are starting to get tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice and the vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat so that it simmers. Add the parsley and basil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook just until it is al dente (this will depend on the type you use), stirring often. Remove the soup from the heat and add additional herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with fresh grated Parmesan.
- Feel free to chop all of the vegetables up ahead of time to save time the night you plan to make this recipe.
- You can use fresh, frozen, or dried tortellini for this recipe, just cook for an appropriate amount of time based on the one you choose.
- You can sub the vegetable stock with other stocks such as chicken if you like though it won’t be a vegetarian dish any more.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Fat: 14.4g
- Carbohydrates: 56.2g
- Protein: 17.9g
- Cholesterol: 29.3mg
Keywords: Soup, 30 Minute Meal, Meatless, Vegetable, Pasta