The best mushroom tacos are made with portobello mushrooms, peppers, onions, and plenty of spices. This meatless taco recipe won't leave you hanging![adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="YUq7p0jy" upload-date="2018-04-04T18:37:14.000Z" name="best mushroom tacos" description="best mushroom tacos" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 3-4 large portobello mushrooms caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 large sweet bell peppers, cut into thin slices
- juice of 1 lime
- taco toppings such as avocado, salsa, hot sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion, black olives, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, etc.
- To prepare the mushrooms, rinse them under water and rub your fingers along the dark "gills" on the underside to remove the gills. Remove any debris or dirt. Slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide pieces.
- In a small bowl, toss the prepared mushroom slices with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the Worcestershire or soy sauce. Then add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, and salt, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are just starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan.
- Add the marinating mushrooms and all of the accumulated juices into the hot pan. Add a little more oil if needed. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Returned the vegetables to the pan and cook until heated through. Cook until the vegetables are to your liking without overcooking. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the juice of one lime and stir to incorporate.
- Remove from the heat and serve as you do other tacos, in a tortilla with all the toppings. Also makes a great topping for taco salad.
- Don't overcook any of the veggies here; tender-crisp is the goal. They'll soften up a bit as they rest in the pan so leave them slightly crunchier than you like to eat.
- Speaking of the pan, cast iron is my jam. It works so well and is non-stick without any off metals or chemicals. Have I converted you over to the cast iron side? You can do it! $12 for a new skillet? You deserve it!
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mushroom Tacos, Easy Taco Recipe, Quick Taco Recipe, Vegan Dinner, Vegan Dinner Recipe, Vegetarian Dinner, Vegetarian tacos