Taco topped cornbread waffles are a delicious dinner idea that combines your favorite taco ingredients on top of a rich and fluffy cornbread waffle!
For the waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light oil, such as canola, avocado, or vegetable
- Taco meat, such as cooked hamburger or shredded pork
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Any other taco toppings you like
- Plug in your waffle iron, and get it heating (I have found that the deep wells of a Belgian-style waffle maker work great for this recipe).
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture, and add the buttermilk, eggs, and oil. Whisk to combine well.
- Cook the batter according to the manufacturer’s directions of your waffle iron.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- When one waffle is done, let it rest on a wire rack, taking care not to stack the waffles (the steam they produce makes them soggy if you stack them on a plate).
- Serve hot with your favorite taco toppings on top.
- You can use store-bought buttermilk or homemade buttermilk. To make homemade buttermilk, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to a 2-cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the measuring cup up with milk (to the 2-cup line, since that’s how much you need). Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes before using.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread waffles recipe, breakfast for dinner, how to make waffles, easy waffle recipe, best waffle recipe, homemade waffles