The BEST crispy homemade Sweet Potato Fries are made with a secret ingredient and a perfect spice blend, then baked to crisp perfection.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (olive, vegetable, canola, etc. all work)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- table salt, to taste
- Cut your sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch square fry-shaped pieces. Consistency in the thickness of the potato is key for evenly and properly cooked potatoes.
- Place the cut sweet potatoes in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let soak for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours (they can soak overnight without issue).
- After the sweet potatoes soak, remove from the water and pat dry with a clean dish towel or paper towels.
- Add the dry sweet potatoes to a large bowl or zipper-top bag and drizzle with the oil. Toss well to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Sprinkle over the oiled sweet potatoes and toss again to evenly coat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread the sweet potatoes in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use a spatula to flip every fry over, one by one.
- Return the oven and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt.
- Let the fries rest for 5 minutes before serving warm.
- Don’t skip any of the steps. You’ll want evenly cut taters, to soak, coat, flip, and rest before eating if you want perfect sweet potato fries.
- Feel free to change up the seasonings to meet your liking! There are so many great options that you can add. Want a little heat? Try adding some chipotle chili powder to your seasoning and corn starch mix.
- These are perfect with some dipping sauce! I love to use equal parts ketchup, mayo, BBQ, hot sauce, and mustard for a great sweet potato fry dipping sauce.
- I’m 90% sure that arrow root powder would work in place of the cornstarch just FYI.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potatoes, vegetable, healthy, how to make sweet potato fries, the best sweet potato fries, how to make crispy fries, homemade sweet potato fries