Sweet Potato Curry made with coconut milk, curry paste and sweet potatoes makes the perfect meatless recipe the whole family will enjoy!
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1–5 teaspoons green curry paste (see notes)
- 1/2 an onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2–3 tablespoons soy sauce
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- hot cooked brown rice and/or warmed flatbread
- In a medium pot add the olive oil, curry paste and onion. Stir and cook over medium heat until the curry paste has coated the vegetables and the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper and sweet potato and cook another minute. Add the coconut milk, water (just fill the coconut milk can up about half way with water and dump it in…) and soy sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is tender and the mixture had thickened slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice on top.
The amount of curry paste that you add will determine the heat of the dish. If you don’t like things hot, add just 1 teaspoon. If you like a medium, try 2-3 teaspoons. If you like a hot curry try adding 4-5 teaspoons. The heat level is also going to depend on they type and brand of curry paste. We love Mai Poi brand green curry paste. I like to use 3 large teaspoons of it for a nice medium curry. It’s warm but not so hot that my kids won’t eat it (they don’t mind a little heat but they don’t want it super spicy). If you get to cooking, give it a taste, and find out you have a gotten things too spicy you can add a second can of coconut milk to dilute the curry paste a bit.
This is one of my favorite clean out the vegetable draw dishes. You’ll want to be sure to use sweet potatoes because they are what is going to thicken the sauce, but you can add just about anything else in addition to them. We happen to love peas in this dish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Indian
- Calories: 401
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 125.5mg
- Fat: 24.5g
- Carbohydrates: 39.1g
- Protein: 10.9g
Keywords: Curry, Meatless, Quick and Easy, Sweet Potatoes