This sweet potato bread is a moist and warming pastry that’s the perfect cozy snack or breakfast for cool fall days.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups cold mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, eggs, and oil, and mix well to combine.
- Add the the mashed sweet potatoes and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans, and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the center is set and toothpick interested in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, and then run a knife along the edge to remove from the pan and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- You can replace the 1 cup or oil with 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce OR 1 cup applesauce. It works great with those substitutions.
- You can omit the nuts if you like, but they are SO good in this bread.
- This bread freezes very well.
- Category: bread
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick bread, sweet potato bread, sweet bread, baking, dessert