Fruity and fluffy, this sweet cherry waffles recipe is a delicious twist on the classic breakfast food — and a great way to use up a batch of ripe cherries!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup pitted chopped sweet cherries
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine all of the dry ingredients, and then make a large well in the center.
- Add the eggs, melted butter, apple sauce, and milk to the well, and then start whisking the dry and wet ingredients together. Whisk from the middle of the bowl out, slowly making your way out to the dry ingredients. (You are slowly incorporating the dry so that it doesn’t get clumpy).
- When everything has come together into a smooth batter, fold in the chopped cherries.
- Cook according to your waffle iron directions.
- Serve with fresh cherry syrup, powdered sugar, or maple syrup.
- Freeze the extras for a quick breakfast, and reheat in the toaster.
- The cherries sink to the bottom of the batter, so give the batter a stir each time you scoop some out to put in your waffle iron to make sure some cherries make it into each waffle.
- You can use whole wheat flour for this recipe with great success — you might just need a splash more milk.
- Feel free to sub oil for the applesauce if you’d like.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy waffles, waffle recipe, breakfast idea, cherry waffle recipe, fruit waffles, homemade waffles, waffles with fruit