- 1 cup shortening (I use butter flavored)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of nutmeg, optional
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Next, add the baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt, and nutmeg if using, and mix all together. The dough should be tacky without being sticky; adjust the flour as needed until you have a workable dough.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes (and up to 2 days).
- Working with ¼ of the dough at a time, roll it out on a well floured surface to ¼ to ½-inch thick. Be generous with your flour on the rolling surface since the dough is very tender; it will stick easily.
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes, and transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough, gathering and re-rolling the scrap dough as you go along.
- Decorate cooled cookies with icing and sprinkles; the messier the better.
- This is my favorite frosting for sugar cookies if you need a recipe to go with this one.
- I don’t use shortening for a lot of recipes (this and My Favorite Pie Crust Recipe are about the only ones that I use it in), but it helps the cookies keep their shape and the end result is so much nicer. I figure if you’re just eating stuff like that a few times a year, it’ll balance itself out.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Nutrition Information: YIELD: 48
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125.4 Fat: 5.3g Cholesterol: 9.4mg Sodium: 44.9mg Carbohydrates: 18g Sugars: 8.4g Protein: 1.8g Vitamin A: 9µg Vitamin C: 0mg
Keywords: sugar cookies, sugar cookie recipe, sugar cookies with sour cream, Christmas cookies, Christmas cut out cookies