These soft and fluffy Strawberry Pancakes are studded with fresh strawberries and a touch of lemon, and drizzled with homemade strawberry syrup. They’re free of gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut, and tree nuts.
- 1 and 3/4 cup vanilla rice milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- zest of one large lemon
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan (omit if your gluten-free flour blend already includes this)
- liquid from one 15 oz can of chick peas
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced (or more to taste)
- 1.5 cups strawberries diced
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon honey, or agave if needed to be vegan (if needed–depending on the sweetness of the strawberries)
- Lemon juice to taste, if too sweet
- First, whisk the rice milk and lemon juice together and set aside. This will be your faux buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan together in a medium bowl. Give it a few whisks to mix it all up and set it aside.
- Drain all the liquid from the can of chick peas into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the ½ tsp vinegar, and turn it on. Let it mix on medium at first, until it stops splattering and a white foam forms, then on high speed until it’s nice and firm and glossy. You should be able to hold the bowl above your head, upside-down.
- Once your foam is strong, pour in the ¼ cup of sugar and mix a few minutes until no longer gritty. Slowly pour in the oil over the course of about a minute while the mixer is still on high speed. It should incorporate fully, with absolutely no deflation of the foam. Once it’s in, let it go another 30 seconds.
- You should be able to form super stiff peaks once it is fully incorporated.
- Next, pour the rice milk mixture that you set aside in step 1 into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Once the wet and dry are combined, fold in the foam/emulsion mixture. It will be nice and bubbly. Fold in the strawberries.
- Ladle onto a warm, greased griddle and flip once the bubbles start popping, just like regular pancakes. Remove from griddle once both sides are golden.
- While the pancakes are cooking, take the strawberries, sugar, water and vanilla and put in your blender. Pulse until you reach your desired consistency (I like mine completely smooth).
- Pour the mixture from your blender into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until the sugar has dissolved. Depending on how runny you like your syrup, you can continue to cook it until it reduces down.
- Taste the syrup and add in the honey/agave for more sweetness. I find my berries are often sweet enough. If it is in fact too sweet, you can add in some lemon juice to tone it down.
- When the pancakes are done, serve with additional fresh strawberries on top, and the warm syrup drizzled over it.
Adapted from: Le Creme De La Crumb
- Category: Pancakes
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pancake recipe, strawberry pancake recipe, homemade pancakes, recipe for strawberry pancakes, how to make strawberry pancakes, gluten free pancakes recipe, recipe for gluten free pancakes, gluten free breakfast ideas