- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 pound boneless skinless chicken (breast or thighs)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3–4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups RiceSelect Arborio Blend™ with Mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large cast-iron dutch oven or skillet over high heat. Add the olive oil, and heat until the oil is shimmering. Carefully add the chicken to the hot pan and let it cook on one side without turning until deep golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook on the second side for another 5-6 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it on a plate. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, carrots, and apple to the same pan that you just took the chicken out of. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and rice, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, oregano, and half the parsley and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes. While the rice is resting, slice the chicken against the grain. After the 5 minutes are up, add the chicken, the rest of the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and serve hot.
Don’t be leery of the dried mushrooms in the rice if you don’t like mushrooms. They give the dish a complex flavor, but I promise you’ll never know they are in there. Once everything is cooked together you can’t even see them. The same goes with the apple. It might sound a little odd here, but it just adds a nice, subtle sweetness that goes perfectly with everything else.