Smoky and hearty Steak Carnitas Meat in the Crock-Pot is one of the best set-it-and-forget-it meals that’s exquisitely flavored and makes some tender and rich tacos.
For the Carnitas:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin or smoked cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl for the spice rub. Rub the spices into each side of the steak, using all of the mixture.
- Place the spice-rubbed steak in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno on top of the steak.
- Cook for on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- After the cooking time has lapsed, remove the steak from the Crock-Pot and shred with two forks. Serve immediately, or return to the Crock-Pot for a few hours until you are ready to eat.
- Serve on corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Flank steak is generally a tougher, and therefore cheaper, piece of meat. It’s a great candidate for the Crock-Pot. I have actually used everything from elk steaks to lamb and pork with this recipe, and loved them all. It’s VERY versatile, so use what you have on hand or what’s on sale — if it’s a leaner cut of meat, you may need to add a bit of beef stock at the end to make sure it doesn’t dry out before it’s done cooking.
- Category: dinner
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American, Tex-Mex, Mexican
Keywords: steak, carnitas, tacos, slow cooker, beef, tacos