Homemade sourdough banana bread is a simple classic banana bread recipe with a twist. It uses a sourdough starter or sourdough discard in addition to classic banana bread ingredients.
- 1 ¼ cups very ripe mashed banana (from 2 large or 3 small bananas)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup sourdough starter (discard or fed starter)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup light oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spray a bread pan with cooking spray (I used a 9×5 inch bread pan).
- In a medium mixing bowl add the mashed banana (or add the bananas to the bowl and use a fork or a pastry cutter to smash them right in the bottom of the bowl).
- Add the sugar and stir well to combine.
- Add the sourdough starter, egg, oil, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour to the bowl and then sprinkle the baking powder and salt on top of the flour. Fold in the flour until just combined and no dry spots remain.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until the center of the dough is no longer wet and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Store leftovers covered at room temperature for 2-3 days or in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- You can reduce the sugar in this recipe to ¾ of a cup if you like a less sweet banana bread.
- Whole wheat pastry flour is a sifted whole wheat flour with a fine texture. I love using it in baking. I have great luck using that or all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- I let my kids mash the bananas using the pastry blender. It’s easy for them to hold and great at mashing!
- Category: bread
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana bread, banana bread recipe, sourdough bread recipe, sourdough recipe, sourdough banana bread, sourdough banana bread recipe