Slow Cooker Vegetable Bean Soup is vegan, gluten-free and perfect for cold and rainy days.
- 1lb. dried great northern beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 3 carrots, cubed into small pieces
- 2 stalks celery, very finely minced
- 1 large onion, very finely minced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 teaspoons smoked chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans overnight according to the package directions.
- In the morning, drain the beans and place the beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and sage in the slow cooker.
- Cover with broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for about 8 hours (the beans will be tender after about 6 hours, but the longer it cooks, the creamier the soup gets.
- Before serving stir in 2-3 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1-2 teaspoons salt, both to taste. I tend to like more of both of them.
- Taste soup and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with your favorite cornbread recipe.
- Another favorite white bean would work well here too. The soaking step speeds up the cooking process, but if you forget, don't fret. As for the vegetables, mince them very very small, and they'll just melt as they cook. Delicious!
- If the bean soup isn't as thick as you'd like you can add a few cups of beans to a blender, blend them up, and stir it back into the soup. It's a great quick way to make your bean soup thicker and creamier.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 6-8
- Calories: 164
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 469.1mg
- Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: Soup, Slow Cooker, Vegan, Gluten Free