Slow Cooker Apple Cider is a fun recipe that is just perfect for your next get-together. I love this apple cider recipe because you start with fresh, whole, beautiful apples and turn them into apple cider. It's not mixing juices together, this is the real deal. Ok, it's the slow cooker version of the real deal.
- 10-12 medium apples, assorted types (I used a mixture of all kinds of apples)
- 1 orange, optional
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 10-14 cups water
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup brown sugar (or your sweetener of choice, see notes)
- Wash the apples and orange and roughly cut them into quarters, no need to remove seeds or stems. Place the cut fruit and spices in the bowl of your slow cooker. Add water until it's about an inch from the top of the bowl. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- When you have an hour left in the cooking process, use a potato masher or a large spoon to crush and mash the apples and then let them continue to cook.
- After 4 hour strain the cider to remove all of the fruit. I strained it through my normal pasta colander and then again through cheesecloth to make sure it was all cider and no chunks.
- Give your slow cooker bowl a quick rinse to remove any extra pieces of fruit or spices and then return the strained cider to the bowl. Heat on low heat and add sweetener of your choosing, such as brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste, stirring well to combine. Serve warm with additional orange slices and cinnamon sticks as a garnish.
This makes a little more than a half gallon of cider.
I liked a mix of mostly brown sugar and a bit of pure maple syrup for sweetening the cider. You can use brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, or a mixture of those to sweeten it.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 35.8g
- Sodium: 6.5mg
- Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 47.7g
- Protein: 1.4g
Keywords: apple cider recipe, slow cooker apple cider recipe, how to make apple cider, best apple cider recipe, homemade apple cider recipe