A simple and healthy meal, simple Instant Pot chicken and rice is an easy way to do a one-pot dinner that's tasty and nutritious!
- 4 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups white rice
- 1 to 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the butter to the insert of your Instant Pot, and select the saute button.
- Add the onion, and stir to combine. Let the onion cook in the butter until it’s soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cut up chicken to the pot, and cook until the chicken has browned a bit on the outside, about another 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pot and stir, cooking until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot, and use your spoon to scrape up any browned bits that might be remaining on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the salt, pepper, oregano, and rice to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and place the valve to sealing.
- Press pressure cook, and select a 4-minute cook time (high pressure). Let the pot come to pressure and go through the 4-minute cook time.
- After the cook time, let the pot rest at a natural pressure release for 12 minutes.
- After the 12 minutes, release any remaining pressure by flipping the valve to venting.
- When the pressure has released, carefully remove the lid.
- Stir in the peas and Parmesan cheese, if using. Stir gently to combine.
- Replace the lid, and let the mixture rest for 2 to 3 minutes while the peas warm up.
- Remove the lid again, stir the mixture, add additional salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.
- You have a ton of flexibility with this recipe! Use what chicken meat you like or have on hand.
- Don't like peas? Add just about any other frozen vegetable/s that you do like or have on hand. This recipes is great with the mixed frozen peas and carrots and even frozen chopped broccoli. The appeal of using frozen is that you just have to heat them through before serving.
- I love the Parmesan cheese in this recipe, but you could use another type of cheese like cheddar, if you prefer, or a mix of the two.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken and rice, chicken and rice recipe, pressure cooker chicken and rice, instant pot chicken and rice recipe