Simple Cream of Tomato Soup comes together quickly to make a creamy and lush soup with canned tomatoes, some onion and garlic, a little butter, and a few splashes of chicken broth and whole cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, or 4 cups whole fresh tomatoes, blanched and skin removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and juice from the cans, salt and pepper to taste, and the chicken broth. Simmer the tomato mixture for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, add the hot tomato mixture to a blender or food processor, and process until very smooth. If using a blender, cover the top with a towel, not the lid.
- Add the smooth soup back to the saucepan, and add the cream. Stir to combine, and serve right away.
- To make the design on the top of the soup, just drizzle a little more cream over the soup once it's in a bowl.
- If using fresh tomatoes, you may need to add a pinch of sugar to offset their more acidic taste.
- An immersion blender would also work great for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 15 minute dinner, tomato soup, tomato, fresh tomato