Quick and easy healthy shrimp stir fry that is made with lots of vegetables, shrimp, and a simple homemade sauce in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 teaspoon canola, olive, or coconut oil
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- hot cooked brown or white rice for serving
- 2/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/3 cup good quality soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- In a large skillet or wok, heat butter and half of the garlic over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Add the shrimp and cook until no longer translucent, stirring occasionally (3-5 minutes).
- Remove shrimp from the pan and set aside. In the same pan that you took the shrimp out of, add the olive oil and turn the heat up to medium high. Add all of your veggies.
- Put the lid on the pot so that the veggies can cook in their steam, stirring occasionally.
- While the vegetables cook, in a small bowl add the broth, soy sauce, honey, and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the corn starch so that it doesn't get clumpy. Add the other half of the garlic to the sauce.
- After the veggies have cooked for about 5 minutes, add the sauce and allow it to simmer with the lid on until the veggies are just tender crisp and the sauce thickens, stirring often. Don't overcook the vegetables.
- When the veggies are ready, throw in the shrimp and heat through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- Don't love shrimp? You can use just about any protein that you like. Just season it well and cook it through before removing from the pan and then proceed with the recipe as directed.
- If you need this recipe to be gluten-free, just make sure you use a gluten-free soy sauce.
- Feel free to use any combination of veggies that you have on hand or are in season.
- You can also use frozen vegetables for this dish or stir fry frozen vegetable mixes. Just heat through before adding your sauce and shrimp.
- Cooking the shrimp in the garlic first is great, if you have a little fresh ginger on hand (a tablespoon or 2) cooking it in garlic and ginger is so good too.
- You could garnish this dish with sesame seeds if you'd like.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: shrimp, stir fry, rice, vegetables, healthy, how to make shrimp stir fry, stir fry recipe, easy stir fry recipe