Homemade shepherd's pie made with ground meat, vegetables, simple seasoning and the most delicious cheesy mashed potato topping.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, about 4 large
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 ounce mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan (about 1/3 of a cup)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube your potatoes and set them in a medium pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the ground beef, mushrooms, and onion. Cook until the beef is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl combine the broth and corn starch. Mix well to combine.
- Add the corn starch slurry to the skillet and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, frozen corn, and frozen peas and carrots. Stir to combine.
- Add the salt and adjust to taste.
- Add the mixture to the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish or baking pan, or if your skillet is oven proof, leave it in the skillet.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain the water and place the potatoes back in the pot they cooked in.
- Add the milk and butter and mash well with a fork or potato masher.
- When potatoes are mashed, stir in the Parmesan and cheddar cheese and adjust the salt and pepper to taste (you'll need at least 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the potatoes).
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top of your beef mixture.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- This is an easy dish to stick more vegetables in if you have them. Sometimes I'll even double the amount of frozen vegetables called for, and it still turns out great. That being said, you can use other veggies that you like. I love green beans in this, too.
- That cheesy potato topping is so good! Feel free to mix and match cheeses with your preferences.
- Feel free to swap out the ground beef with more traditional ground lamb or even ground chicken or turkey. It all works well with this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: potatoes, ground beef, beef, cheese, how to make shepherds pie, easy shepherds pie recipe, the best shepherds pie, beef shepherds pie