- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 + cups whole wheat flour
- In your stand mixer bowl combine the first 7 ingredients (Orange juice through salt) and 1 cup of the flour.
- Mix with the dough hook for 5 minutes to get the gluten going. The OJ is important… the acid is supposed to break down some of the roughness of the whole wheat – don’t leave it out.
- Gradually add the rest of your flour, one cup at a time until you have reached 4 cups. Let the dough knead in the bowl for 4 or 5 minutes. After that kneading is through, turn off the mixer and feel the dough. It should be tacky without sticking to your hands. If it is too sticky, add a little more flour until if doesn’t stick.
- Once the proper constancy is reached, place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. After dough has risen, form your loaf and place it in a well buttered loaf pan and let it rise for 1 hour. 15 minutes before dough is done rising, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes and then lightly cover with foil so that the top doesn’t brown too much. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes with the foil on. Wait at least 30 minutes before slicing.