Quick Pickled Cucumbers and Onions are made with optional carrots and radishes and make the perfect addition to salads, sandwiches, and more! These pickled vegetables are the best summer recipe for an easy snack, a cookout or a barbecue.
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/3 English cucumber (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded radish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar and water to a boil. Add the chives, garlic, sea salt, oregano, and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves and remove from heat.
- Place the veggies in a bowl or jar with lid and slowly pour the hot vinegar mixture over the veggies. For a crisper, more al dente feel, let the liquid cool a bit before adding it to the jar.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then cover and place in the fridge. Enjoy the same day for a crisper, slaw-like texture and bite, or allow to sit for several days for softer, more deeply-flavored veggies.
- If you wish to exclude carrots and radish, use 2/3 English cucumber and 1 cup red onion instead.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 2 min
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pickled cucumber recipe, pickled onion recipe, how to make pickled cucumbers, how to make pickled onions, pickled vegetable recipe, how to pickle vegetables, best pickled cucumber recipe, pickled cucumbers and onions recipe