These Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Biscuits are a long-time family favorite. They’re simple to make and loaded with hidden veggies!
- 1 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose, whole wheat or a mix of the two
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato, about 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter and then, using a fork, pastry blender, or your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until it is the size of small peas. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and 1/3 cup of milk to the flour mixture and stir to combine. If the mixture is crumbly and not sticking together, add the rest of the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough onto a flour dusted surface and dust the top with a little more flour. Roll the dough so that it is 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut the dough using a knife or a biscuit butter into 9 pieces.
- Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and into the oven. Bake until the tops are a light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
You can use all-purpose flour, a mixture of half all purpose flour and half whole wheat or all whole wheat flour. If you are going to use 100% whole wheat flour I highly recommend buying whole wheat pastry flour. This flour is very finely ground from soft white wheat berries unlike traditional whole wheat flour that is ground from hard red wheat berries. The whole wheat pastry flour yields to a much softer and fluffier biscuit. You can use traditional whole wheat flour but your biscuits may turn out dense and thick (not typically the goal for a delicious biscuit…). You can use left over cooked sweet potatoes or you can microwave, roast, or boil them to get the cooked. Be sure to mash well or send them for a run in the blender or food processor to make sure they aren’t any big lumps before adding them to the biscuits.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade biscuits, sweet potato biscuits, how to make biscuits, easy biscuit recipe, homemade biscuit recipe, best biscuit recipe, how to make homemade biscuits, how to make biscuits from scratch,