This is such a flavor-filled quick and easy chili recipe! It’s the perfect meal for Fall and Winter days when you’re craving something hearty and warm!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, finely chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons garlic (about 8 cloves), minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounce)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounce)
- 1 can dark kidney beans (15 ounce), drained and rinsed
- 1 can light kidney beans (15 ounce), drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans (15 ounce), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Oyster crackers
- Crushed tortilla chips
- In a large dutch oven or heavy stock pot, brown the ground beef over medium-high to high heat for 5 minutes. Don’t be afraid to let the beef sit on the bottom of the pot and get really brown. The brown, charred meat is great for this recipe.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, and add the onions (and jalapenos if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and stir to combine.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir to combine, and let the spices cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, all of the beans, and the beef or chicken stock. Stir to combine, scraping up any meat bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Adjust the spices to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium so that the mixture simmers. Simmer until the mixture thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with toppings of your choice.
- You can make this recipe ahead of time. Skip the simmering stage, and put it in the fridge after it cools a bit. Just bring it back up to heat and simmer 10-or-so minutes before serving. It’s excellent as leftovers.
- This recipes freezes very well.
- You can use whatever beans you like in this recipe.
- You can double this recipe in a very large pot to feed a crowd.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili, chili recipe, ground beef chili, easy chili, homemade chili, best chili recipe,