For the Cake
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Icing
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3–4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a large rimmed sheet cake pan (also called a Jelly Roll pan, should measure about 17 1/2 inches by 13 inches).
- In a medium bowl mix the oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Stir in the pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- Add the soda, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and flour to the bowl and stir until the mixture just comes together. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and then bake until the cake is cooked through. You’ll start to smell the cake and the cake will spring back when touched lightly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and make the icing.
- To make the icing beat the butter, cream, vanilla, almond extract and 1 cup of the powdered sugar together on medium-high speed until the mixture comes together and is smooth, about 3 minutes. Add enough additional powdered sugar to make a moderately soft icing (it shouldn’t be runny but it will still spread really easily).
- Once the cake has cooked, spread the icing in a thin layer over the top. Serve at room temperature.