Pumpkin cupcakes with whipped cinnamon icing are perfect bites of fall-inspired sweetness, with just the right amount of pumpkin flavor and warm spices to round them out!
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup whipping cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin, and mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the butter mixture, and then sprinkle the baking powder, soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt over the top of the flour.
- Mix on low until everything is combined and you have a thick cake batter.
- Fill 12 muffin tin cups, lined with a paper liner, two-thirds full, and then bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and let the cupcakes cool to room temperature out of the pan.
- For the frosting: Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to beat the butter, whipping cream, cinnamon, and vanilla bean extract with the wire whisk attachment.
- Beat at medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- The frosting will be very fluffy and a medium-thin consistency. If the frosting is too thick, add a touch of cream, and beat again. If it is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar and beat again.
- Pipe the icing onto the cooled cupcakes using an 2A tip.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcakes, cupcake recipe, pumpkin, pumpkin spice, pumpkin dessert, cinnamon, frosting, icing, fall baking