Creamy Pumpkin Chicken Enchiladas are filled with cheese, rich pumpkin, chicken, and more! This fall-themed chicken enchilada recipe is the best meal for warming up on a chilly autumn day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a large white or yellow onion, diced (about a cup)
- 1 bell peppers, diced (about a cup)
- 1–2 cups cubed (small 1/2 inch pieces) fresh pumpkin (or butternut squash)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8–10 corn tortillas
- 6–8 ounce pepper jack cheese (I like Cabot), grated
- Chopped cilantro and green onions for garnish
- 1 Batch of Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce (recipe follows)
Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and cubed pumpkin. Cook until the vegetables start to soften, 6-8 minutes. Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook another minute. Remove from the heat and stir in your chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste (don’t be shy here, vegetables need salt).
- To make the enchilada sauce, which together all of the ingredients until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spread a cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 inch by 13 inch baking dish. Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds so that they are easier to work with. Place a 1/4 cup of the vegetable and chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll. Place the rolled tortilla seam side down in the pan and repeat until your pan is full.
- Cover the top of all of the rolled enchiladas with your remaining enchilada sauce. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly over the tops. Cover the top with the grated cheese. Bake until the edges start to bubble and the cheese melts, about 25 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onion and serve hot.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken enchilada recipe, pumpkin chicken enchilada recipes, fall dinner recipes, pumpkin cooking recipes, easy chicken enchilada recipe, pumpkin enchilada recipe